FACT: As news of my divorce begins to spread, women and their friends will check me out on Facebook, Linked-In, and any other available sites, including okCupid soon.
FACT: A public image makeover is in order in order to promote interests of eligible women.
FACT: Pictures are the #1 factor in garnering favorable initial impressions.
FACT: As a father, I am the one behind the camera 99.9% of the time. Consequently I do not have a good collection of suitable pictures since I typically photograph other people.
FACT: Selfies are gay. Cool profile pictures should present image of me doing active, interesting things. It should give the impression the picture was taken by other people in a candid moment that is representative of my real life.
PROBLEM: In the next 22 days, how do I acquire a collection of pictures suitable for public image makeover, that appear to be active and candid, even if the setting has to be orchestrated?
Upgrading pictures is something I have been thinking about for a while and have been working on ineffectively. I actually have a friend (code named Debbie ) who has the same dilemma. I have been working on upgrading her public image as well (since she needs to get her ass out, date more, and forget about this dude she has tunnel vision for.) I have already come to the conclusion that this needs to be done–the sooner the better.
Here are the things I have already accepted I am going to have to do:
- Moving forward, I am going to have to have to shamelessly ask Debbie and other wingmen to take a pictures me so I can be included in pictures.
- Short term, I am going to have to use a tripod and orchestrate some poses that don’t look like they are fake, selfie, cheesy poses. (I just threw up in my mouth a little typing that.)
- Moving forward, I am going to have to do real stuff that create genuine photo ops.
I know WHAT I want to do, I just don’t know HOW to do it. As I mentioned, previous attempts have been ineffective. I have to be realistic here. I am not going to look like Leslie Carter at Bucket List. She is a bonafide world traveling badass adventurer. I am not at her level. I am, however, a hell of a lot more interesting than my current picture collection would lead one to believe.
So what should I do? How do I go about pulling this image makeover off? Become Awesome and It’s Not a Match — I’m looking to you. I’m the rookie and you have more experience in this online dating realm than me. What are picture mistakes to avoid? What poses works well for dudes? What kinds of pictures should I take of Debbie to help her? How to take a selfie without it looking like a selfie? How do I get a wingman to not be paralyzed by fear and uncomortableness when I hand him or her my camera and tell them that I want them to take a picture of me? How can I do that without coming across as a rude, self-centered bastard?
- Life As An OkCupid Moderator (huffingtonpost.com)
- OkCupid or Match.com: What’s Better for Online Dating? (smoothreentry.wordpress.com)
- Mars Curiosity takes a Myspace-like selfie for researchers (venturebeat.com)